Friday, August 28, 2026

What is happening?

Another accident today. Just like the last one but with no fatalities this time. I was driving home from work on Walden in Lancaster and I hear a loud pop and watch a car coming my direction (directly adjacent to me) veer off the road into a deep ditch. I did a u-turn and parked and ran to the scene. Another guy named Luke had pulled over across the street and got there at the same time as me. 
We looked all around the car and then got the doors open. It was an elderly couple inside, maybe late 70's. Airbags had deployed and they seemed mostly ok but definitely in shock. 
The man got out of the car pretty quickly and began walking around. He didn't seem to understand what had happened. He picked up his headlight off the grass and asked if it was his. He said he had Triple A and would call and get a tow. He told his wife she should call her sister to come pick them up. 
His wife, who I was talking with, was doing less good. She was hyperventilating and said she was having trouble getting her breath. She tried to get out of the car a few times with me helping her but then I told her she should stay put. The car was not smoking and seemed safe to be in. With the doors open the smoke from the airbags was escaping outside. 
A shirtless man named Dean was on the phone with 911 in the middle of Walden. He was using his shirt to wave cars by. When the first cop came he told Dean he should get out of the street and the response was, "No one will hit me." He was quite confident. 
I stayed long enough to give the cop my name and number and tell the woman I was praying for her and that God had really been watching out for them. If they went one foot farther they would have knocked out a fire hydrant making the scene messier and more dangerous. 
I regret leaving before the ambulance arrived. I think my being there was comforting the woman. The blotter post from Lancaster said they were taken to Millard Fillmore Suburban. I hope they are both ok. 
This is my second accident within a week right after I had all my own car trouble. What is it you are trying to tell me God?
I looked up tonight what the Bible says about comforting others in distress and in 2 Thessalonians 1 Paul says that we comfort others with the comfort with which God has already comforted us. I need to be rock solid in being renewed in this comfort from God in order have it available for others. I get the feeling this is going to keep happening. I kind of enjoy it! Just want to be a more effective tool when I'm in these situations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment