Monday, August 16, 2010

Another week of soreness

Well I've been running every day this past week (hoping to start a trend) and then yesterday I went on a 7.2 mile hike straight up Mt. Baldy (climbed 2800 feet in 3.6 miles, which averages out to about 1 foot up for every 8 feet forward, although the ratio goes way down towards the end to more like 1 up for every 2 forward). It was pretty intense. I'm hoping to apply and qualify for the CHP boot camp as soon as possible, so this stuff shouldn't set me back like it does. I have a lot of work to do.

Anyway, I took my 14 year old "nephew" with me (he's my wife's half-sister's son). He's a cool kid. His name is Noah. He's from the Florida Keys and his one desire while he's here in CA is to kill a rattlesnake and eat it. It's a bummer we didn't run into any yesterday (sort of a bummer, at least). Anyway, we had a pretty rad hike, ate some beefstick (summer sausage), drank some fresh mountain spring water (actually out of a mountain spring, not out of the exhaust pipe of a power plant like Crystal Geyser), sat on top of the mountain for a little while. It was fun. We were both incredibly sore afterwards.

Anyway. I'm starting a fairly strenuous training program to get myself ready for the CHP which includes running six days a week, doing all sorts of jumping jacks, pushups and situps, and eventually some pull ups, it will probably involve some weight lifting down the road but one thing at a time. It will also involve learning Spanish (better than five years of schooling could teach me). All of this will be really hard for me since I'm skinny but out of shape and haven't been in school for like three years. I don't remember how to be consistent. Actually I never knew.

So them's the ropes. I guess I should work now. Good day, eh.

No comments:

Post a Comment